How much is enough?
When preparing your home to sell, some investments are more valuable than others. The investment of your time may be your biggest expense and the most valuable. The following 4 items can be done for little or no cost.
- De-clutter rooms, empty closets and complete a general spring cleaning.
- Be mindful of odors in your home, address any pet stains and shampoo carpets.
- Store toys and pack any unnecessary clothes or items.
- If your homes walls and baseboards are looking shabby choose neutral colors & paint them.
Minor repairs and maintenance
Has your furnace been cleaned or your septic tank pumped? Many of us live with items that should be maintained but we never seem to have the time or know the proper contractors to call. Items in need of repair such as a leaky faucet, broken outlets, broken appliances or windows will be picked up in a home inspection and could leave you exposed to more negotiations and a lower selling price.
Cosmetic updates such as changing hardware, updating lighting or carpeting
These changes may make your home more appealing to buyers but use caution when figuring out a budget to spend. Making an investment in high end carpeting or lighting may look beautiful but you want to consider the return on investment.
Don’t forget the curb appeal
Many buyers will drive by your property prior to setting up a showing. Make your property look more inviting.
- Stairs and railings should be clean and free from obstacles.
- Keep your grass cut and bushes trimmed.
- Is there damage to your driveway, walkway or siding? It’s a wise investment to repair it.
- Give your front door a fresh coat of paint.
Selling your home can be an exciting experience. Remember to take it slow. Make a list of tasks you would like to accomplish before placing it on the market and give yourself enough time to complete them.
The Brokerage Disclosure Form is a document that every real estate agent in the state of New Hampshire is required to present to you at the “first business meeting” with that agent. So before you talk about your motivation for moving and your financial details please make sure you are aware of the relationship you have with that agent. Your personal information could be used against you if that agent represents the opposite party in a transaction you are or maybe a part of.